Packed with protein and slow releasing carbs, these Protein Rebel chocolate crumble slices are ideal as a pre or post workout snack to keep you fuelled and energised through the day. Created by our friendly nutrionalist, Christine Bailey*, they have a delicious crumble topping and rich, creamy chocolate layer in the middle they are the ideal treat to satisfy any chocolate cravings. Perfect as a snack or dessert topped with Greek or Coconut yogurt.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Makes 16 Bars
150g butter, dairy free spread or coconut oil
60g coconut sugar
150g Gluten free oats
75g Protein Rebel Chocolate or Banana Recover
60g Gluten free self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
1tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, beaten
125ml coconut cream
200g Chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4
- Line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment
- Place the butter or dairy free spread in a saucepan with the coconut sugar. Melt over a low heat gently.
- Place the oats, protein powder, flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl and stir well.
- Pour in the melted butter with the vanilla and egg and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the base of the tin and press down firmly with your hands.
- Melt the chocolate and cream gently in a pan beating to make a thick chocolate sauce.
- Pour the chocolate over the crumble base and spread out evenly. Scatter over the remaining crumble mixture and press down lightly.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Allow the bar to cool completely then remove from the tin and cut into bars.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. These can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutrition per bar 250kcal, Fat 15.2g of which saturates 9.6g, Carbohydrates 21.5g of which sugars 8.1g, Fibre 2.2g, Protein 5.7g
*Christine is an award winning degree qualified Functional Nutritional Therapist, Chef and Author with over 20 years of experience in the health, corporate and food industry. With a first class degree in Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BSc) and additional training by the Institute of Functional Medicine Christine is an experienced nutrition practitioner and speaker working in the public and corporate sector. Winner of Coeliac UK Chef of the Year award Christine is well known for her expertise in nutrition, sports nutrition, healthy eating and developing health foods, products and recipes.